Do you love to make the most of the sunshine by relaxing in your garden, on the patio or by the pool? Most of us love getting out in the sun but we must take precautions and ensure we have the appropriate amount of shade.
The simplest and most accessible solution is to make use of a good outdoor sun umbrella. In this article, we will go through some of the best-rated umbrellas you can buy as well as an outdoor umbrella buying guide to make your decision even easier. Let us help you find the best garden umbrellas for sale on Amazon.
- How to Pick the Right Umbrella
- Top-Rated Garden and Pool Umbrellas
- 1) ABCCANOPY Solar Umbrellas Patio Umbrella 9 FT ($69.95)
- 2) PURPLE LEAF 11 Feet Double Top Deluxe Square Patio Umbrella ($529.00)
- 3) Iwicker 15 Ft Double-Sided Patio Umbrella ($129.00)
- 4) Abba Patio ABC ($189.99)
- 5) EliteShade Sunbrella 9Ft Market Umbrella Patio Outdoor Table Umbrella with Ventilation ($159.95)
- 6) PURPLE LEAF 11 Feet Double Top Deluxe Patio Umbrella ($459.00)
- 7) Le Papillon 9 ft Outdoor Patio Umbrella ($49.99)
- 8) Grand Patio Napoli Deluxe 11 FT Curvy Aluminum Offset Umbrella ($399.99)
- 9) EasyGo – 8′ Thatch Patio Tiki Umbrella ($75.88)
- 10) Patio Umbrella Outdoor Table Umbrella ($59.99)
- Who should consider buying an outdoor umbrella?
- What style of outdoor umbrella is best for you?
- What is the Best Outdoor Umbrella Material?
- What frame or pole material is best?
- Patio and Garden Umbrella adjustment Mechanisms
- Make Your Decision
How to Pick the Right Umbrella
When it comes to the items we’re going to look at today, we’ll be using several key criteria to differentiate them all:
Deciding which umbrella works best for you will involve a little bit of science and a little bit of personal taste. The first step you’ll need to take is to consider the specific conditions of your patio setup. Are there natural sources of shade? How much rain do you see and how quickly does it come on? Do you have any limitations on space?
Depending on how you answer these questions, you’ll be able to find an umbrella that will work great for your patio. Let’s take a look at 10 of the top-rated patio umbrellas.
Top-Rated Garden and Pool Umbrellas
1) ABCCANOPY Solar Umbrellas Patio Umbrella 9 FT ($69.95)
Overall score: 4.3 out of 5
- Comes with integrated solar-powered LED lights that are a great addition for use in the summer evenings and nights. There is also an on/off switch for these lights, which is a welcome feature.
- Detachable pole and crank system make storing the umbrella very easy.
- A relatively cheap outdoor umbrella; low price for an LED patio umbrella represents excellent value for money.
- Made from 200g polyester, which is thinner than you’ll find on a canvas umbrella so could present long-term durability issues.
- Small LED lights may not be bright enough for some people’s tastes.
- Plastic housing around the crank is a bit lightweight and could break.
Overall score: 4.3 out of 5
- 360-degree rotation makes it easy to adjust and find the perfect area of shade.
- UV and waterproof material. 240g thick polyester, which is higher-quality than many other umbrellas.
- Sturdy materials and well-built umbrella, which should add to the usage-life.
- High price point.
- Base (sold separately) is not as heavy as it needs to be for very windy conditions. This can cause unwanted sway from the umbrella.
- Poor assembly instructions do not make the process very clear.
3) Iwicker 15 Ft Double-Sided Patio Umbrella ($129.00)
Overall score: 4.2 out of 5
- Unlike a number of other patio umbrellas, the base is included with this one.
- The base is big and heavy enough to prevent the umbrella from tipping moderate winds. In strong winds, a patio umbrella isn’t recommended for use anyway.
- A simple crank lift provides smooth opening and closing of the umbrella.
- Thin and hollow metal used for the umbrella’s support arms.
- As mentioned in the “pros” section, the base is sturdy enough to prevent tipping. However, the umbrella shaft spins rather easily inside the base, which can be a problem in windy conditions.
4) Abba Patio ABC ($189.99)
Overall score: 4.5 out of 5
- An interesting design that looks elegant.
- Simple construction so is the umbrella is very easy to put together and set up.
- The base isn’t weighted
- Weights will need to be purchased separately to keep it from tipping over.
- There is no rotation feature, which means the entire base needs to be turned manually if you desire the umbrella to face a different direction.
Overall score: 4.5 out of 5
- Strong aluminum frame with a rust-proof coating.
- Easily adjustable with a crank and a simple push-button for tilting.
- The canopy comes with a 5-year warranty on colorfastness.
- Umbrella sections can be prone to filling up with rainwater due to the canopy not being a tight fit across the supports.
- Relatively thin canopy material when compared to some other, more expensive umbrellas.
6) PURPLE LEAF 11 Feet Double Top Deluxe Patio Umbrella ($459.00)
Overall score: 4 out of 5
- Thick 240g/cm polyester fabric has been used for the canopy.
- Strong steel alloy construction with anti-oxidation coating.
- Interesting double-top design, which is used for wind and heat ventilation.
- Even at full height, the umbrella is relatively low at under 6 feet so taller individuals will need to be mindful when walking beneath it.
- The base supplied with the
umbrella does not provide much stability in windy conditions; it will need to
be secured to the ground.
- Alternatively, you can buy a bigger base separately.
7) Le Papillon 9 ft Outdoor Patio Umbrella ($49.99)
Overall score: 4.3 out of 5
- Extremely cheaply priced umbrella.
- Quick and simple to assemble.
- Thin fabric used for the canopy.
- The umbrella has a tendency to spin in the wind, especially in the tilted position.
Overall score: 4.3 out of 5
- One of the best offset umbrellas, with extremely high-quality construction with waterproof canopy and extending support bars beneath the base for added stability.
- Hidden wheels on the base to make moving the umbrella easier.
- Thick UV protected canopy material.
- Somewhat vague assembly constructions included.
- The canopy on the red version is prone to fading to a pink color if placed in intense sunshine for long periods.
9) EasyGo – 8′ Thatch Patio Tiki Umbrella ($75.88)
Overall score: 4 out of 5
- Eco-friendly thatched plastic canopy.
- Low price point.
- Simple tilt adjustment.
- Plastic thatching strips can come unattached from the umbrella.
- No height adjustment.
- May fade and turn an ugly grey color over time.
10) Patio Umbrella Outdoor Table Umbrella ($59.99)
Overall score: 4.4 out of 5
- Multiple color options are available to choose from.
- Easy, smooth running crank for adjustment.
- Well-built out of sturdy materials.
- No tilt adjustment capability.
- Base not included. The matching base must be purchased separately.
We hope these garden umbrella reviews have been helpful! Below, we’ve included a guide to help further refine your decision.
Who should consider buying an outdoor umbrella?
An outdoor umbrella is a quick and ingenious way for you to extend your indoor living space to the outdoors. Whether you are considering it for enjoying some personal time while reading a book, or to bond with the family and friends over some conversation while enjoying casual meals, a patio umbrella provides you with the ideal spot to dine, relax and entertain.
Most importantly, you are able to enjoy all of the above while being protected from potentially harmful rays of the summer sun.
What style of outdoor umbrella is best for you?
When shopping for the best umbrella to buy, the first decision to make is to determine which style of umbrella will suit you. Your furniture layout, space constraints, and usage all factor in which style is ideal for you. Additionally, although the above factors play a critical role in selecting the right option for your backyard, your personal taste is a final determinant.
The two main categories these umbrellas will fall under are offset umbrellas and center-pole umbrellas. An offset umbrella is one where the support post sits behind the canopy. A center-pole is very much like it sounds: the support pole is in the middle of the canopy as it is with a traditional handheld umbrella.
Aside from the aforementioned “personal taste”, your decision on which type to buy will depend very much on the following factors.
Before going ahead an buying an umbrella for your patio or pool area, you need to ask yourself where you will place the umbrella. This will help ensure you select the correct umbrella. Will it be placed next to a pool, or will it be used to cover your new patio table and chair set?
If you are considering one that will be placed at the center of a patio set, opt for a center post umbrella.
If you are planning to place your umbrella next to a pool, it will probably be best to go with an offset style umbrella.
The above information is very general; you will need to assess your own location and decide what kind of umbrella is going to be best for that particular space. Just be sure you have a good idea of how you want it to look and fit before making your purchase,
b. Size and shape
Most umbrellas have the option of buying different sizes so getting the right size and shape of an umbrella is another key decision you’ll need to make. To get the right size, it is essential for you to measure the square footage of the area you are looking to cover with a tape measure. Don’t try and guess it by eye since this can end in serious frustration.
Once you have determined the square footage of the area, you’ll know what size umbrella you’re limited to.
The second consideration is the shape. Deciding on the shape of your umbrella canopy depends on three things; the shape of the area you want to cover, physical constraints of your environment, and what shapes you find most visually appealing.
What is the Best Outdoor Umbrella Material?
As easy as it may seem, picking your canopy cover material isn’t a “one size fits all” scenario. When shopping for canopy covers, you need to consider things like water resistance, durability, UV protection, and fire resistance to ensure that you are getting the right cover.
When it comes to umbrella canopy fabrics, there are three main options: olefin, polyester, and acrylic.
· Olefin: Olefin is an environmentally friendly material that provides high UV protection. It’s durable and stain resistant, and can withstand bleach and chlorine cleaning.
· Polyester: A great choice for outdoor umbrellas since it is relatively cheap, light and easy to work with. It also dries quickly and can be coated to protect from UV rays, slowing down color fading.
· Acrylic: A common type of acrylic you may come across for outdoor furniture is by the Sunbrella brand. This is considered the gold standard material for outdoor textiles. It’s resistant to different elements and can hold its color for many years. For this reason, it is usually the most expensive option.
What frame or pole material is best?
Choosing the right frame material for your umbrella all depends on your priorities. To make this decision, you need to answer some fundamental questions:
- Are you looking to match the look and materials of your current outdoor furniture or design scheme?
- Are you concerned about being environmentally friendly?
- Is durability a priority?
You can use these questions with the information presented below to pick the best material for your requirements.
There are three common materials used to make patio umbrella frames or poles: wood, fiberglass, and aluminum. Each has its own set of features and benefits:
If you are looking for a classic, yet timeless appeal then a wooden frame is your best fit. Their natural and sophisticated look stands out in a lush green environment.
Additionally, a well-maintained wooden umbrella will look great with rich woodgrain furniture. Some of the common wood used in the construction of wooden umbrella frame include teak, bamboo, and eucalyptus. Since the raw materials are hard to come by, it makes wooden umbrella frames expensive. The durability of the wood varies between types but cheaper woods are likely to be rather lightweight and poor-quality.
Aluminum frames are known to be inexpensive, durable, and lightweight. If you are looking for a minimalist way to complement your decor and design, aluminum is the way to go.
Most of the aluminum poles are anodized or powder coated to help resist corrosion. Additionally, since aluminum is malleable, it can be molded into different shapes that cannot be achieved by wood. In terms of durability, aluminum is very good; even during windy seasons, it will not break but may warp over time.
Aluminum presents an excellent value for money material option since it is both cheap and durable.
Fiberglass frames are more durable, lightweight and stronger than both aluminum and wood. Since it is flexible, the frames can bend without breaking even in the worst storms.
Another plus is that it does not rust, or rot so performs well under wet conditions. Although fiberglass frames/poles are expensive, their ability to withstand extreme weather conditions for years makes its investment worthwhile.
For pure durability, fiberglass would be the best material to go for.
Patio and Garden Umbrella adjustment Mechanisms
For opening the umbrella and adjusting the shading options, there are different mechanisms available for you to think about when shopping around.
· Pulley: This mechanism is very simple and uses a wheel and rope to raise the canopy.
· Crank: A crank mechanism is ideal for large umbrellas and is easy to operate. This mechanism simply requires the crank be turned in one direction to open the umbrella and in the opposite direction to close it.
· Push-up: Works by pushing the umbrella upwards and opening it from the hub. This mechanism requires physical effort and can be quite hard work for larger umbrellas.
Out of these three, the crank style is the simplest to use and most sturdy so it certainly the one we recommend you select.
Make Your Decision
The information above should help you narrow-in on which outdoor umbrella is the best for your own needs and situation.
The list of top-rated umbrellas at the start of this article features a set of great umbrellas that you can’t go far wrong with. All you need to do is decide which umbrella on our list matches with what you are looking for.